Thursday, March 15, 2012

"The Day My World Changed"

Often throughout my writings I have said that 10-11-10 was the day my world changed forever.  I have thought about that comment numerous times over the last several months.  It's interesting how much thinking I've done, although not all thoughts are blog-worthy!!!  This one happens to be a little more theological in nature, which is rare for me!  I'm a fairly simple-minded person, generally speaking!

Here are my thoughts on "the day my world changed:"

I'm going to have to say that the comment is both true and false, depending on the perspective.  Let's first consider my own perspective, or we could really say all of mankind's perspective.  Anyone here on earth would probably agree with the idea that my world changed forever in October 2010.  In our finite wisdom, all we can see is what life was like pre-accident and what life has been like post-accident.  So, of course my life is very different now than it ever was before.  Other than the fact that I am still the mother of two handsome little boys, who are completely dependent upon my ability to care for them, nothing else is really the same.

But then I got to thinking . . . is my life really different?  If I change my perspective and try to understand what the Lord sees, I'm going to say no, it didn't change.  Let me quote some Scriptures that give a better explanation to what I'm thinking.  Psalm 139:16 says, "Your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be."  Before time began, God knew every single minute of every day of my life.  He knew exactly what was going to happen at 8 am on 10-11-10.  He knew that things wouldn't feel the same to me after that moment, but yet my life is still following the same path that was written in His book before any of them even began.  In that perspective, my life is the same.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"  God already knows the plans He has for me.  He knew what was going to happen, He knows what I'm experiencing now, and He also knows what is in store for my future.  He holds the key to not only the future, but also to hope.  All I have to do is call upon His name and He will rescue me.

Isaiah 55:8-9, "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'"  In other words . . . stop trying to figure it all out, and trust that God is in control of everything that has already happened, is happening now, and will happen in the future!  We are not supposed to understand everything He does, rather accept with faith that He has a greater purpose than we'll ever know.

Okay, so why would I take the time to write this out?  Simple.  It is a beautiful reminder that God is in complete control of the past, present, and future.  Nothing happens that He didn't already say would happen.  He also promises to never leave us or forsake us.  No matter what impossible situation crosses our path, He will be there to guide us through every step of the way.  Personally, I am so grateful to have an all-knowing, sovereign God who knows me so intimately, yet loves me all the same.

2 comments:

  1. "Personally, I am so grateful to have an all-knowing, sovereign God who knows me so intimately, yet loves me all the same. "

    Jaquie, I am moved by all of your writing but this particular line echoes what I have been experiencing in the last 4 years of my Christian walk but especially so in the 2 years since Rich went home to God. I lost my mom 4 years ago and then Rich and suddenly it seemed that the people who knew me best and loved me most despite it were gone. God has been patiently teaching me that HE both knows me best AND loves me most.

    There is so much between our two journeys that is incredibly different but, at the heart, parts that are so incredibly the same.

    Your faith touches me.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing (and true!) perspective! Thank you for sharing this journey, and the lessons you're learning along the way. I can't tell you how many times something you've been reminded of (and written about) is a lesson I feel God teaching me (often again) the day I read it. Today's was "stop trying to figure everything out! God is in control!"

    Thank you for your openness and your faithfulness and your heart. I pray for you and the boys often and know that God is indeed working in your lives.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete